Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Week Four and July Four in the MTC

Carolyn's district watching the fireworks

Hello and happy fourth!!!


This week was stressful, but good. Hermana Taylor and I are now the Sister Training Leaders in the zone. This means that we are responsible for a lot of the organizational things within the zone and we are responsible for making sure each sister in the zone (16 of them) are doing well. We have interviews with each sister every week and focus on how we can be better as a zone. This is a huge responsibility and I was super anxious about it because it requires an extra couple of hours a day on top of our normal workload, so I have less time to focus on Spanish. But, I know I'm doing what Heavenly Father wants me to do and He will help me. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve others, even if it will be hard.

Hermana Taylor & Hermana Bettridge 

So, Hermana Taylor and I discovered we are 6th cousins on relativefinder.org, so that's fancy.


This week we went into the "outside world" (meaning not the MTC campus, BYU, or the temple) so that was interesting. Hermana Taylor was having some back problems and went to the chiropractor. Some people tried to talk to us in Spanish, because of our tags, and we really had no idea what was going on, so we made some stuff up. I found an Oklahoma flag on a pen in the waiting room, random, so that's in a picture. 


Hermana Bettridge and the Oklahoma State Flag

Some lady at a devotional showed us a map that has a pin on all of the places she has had kids, grandkids, and great grandkids serve missions. It had so many pins! I was thinking, "wow, if my family had a map it would have one pin, Houston!" But, maybe one day I will have a map of all of the places I have had kids and grandkids and great grandkids go on missions!


So, we had a fun Independence Day celebration! I was wondering how it was going to be since probably around a fourth of the missionaries here are not US citizens. Also only a third of us are staying in the US for our missions. But, we had a really cool celebration! We had a big devotional and every nation that has a missionary here and a flag brought out by a missionary by that country. There were around 60 flags? I was trying to count. Then the speakers talked about how because of the freedoms we have in the United States, the Restoration was able to occur here. They talked about how God had a hand in the discovery of the United States and our war for independence. It was all very cool to think about. They focused on how because of the freedoms in the United States, we are able to share the gospel with people around the world. I am so grateful to live in a country that gives me the right to practice my religion and to share it with others! Then we all went outside and watched the firework show at BYU. (We stayed up until midnight instead of 10:30!)


This week my district became part of a new pilot program at the MTC where we learn how to involve members in lessons. Now, once day a week, we have a member come into the MTC and go with us to our appointments. I really liked it! (because she spoke Spanish fluently! haha)


I hope you all have a great week! I love you all and miss you!


Hermana Bettridge


1 comment:

  1. Sister Bettridge, You are becoming a wonderful missionary. You are willing to take on extra leadership responsibilities. This is an additional way to serve the Lord. Keep working hard and you will continue to experience great joy. I love the enthusiasm you have for the Lord's work. Have a great week!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete