Tuesday, July 26, 2016

First Week in the Field


Hello!!!! I am so excited to be here in the field! I am in the College Station area (where Texas A and M is.) We have the furthest north area of our mission boundaries and have the biggest area (actually, we have two areas because there aren't enough missionaries right now!) But, that means we get a car! :)


My preparation day is Monday. So, I will be checking my email every Monday and responding. If you would like to send me a letter (I would love it so much!) my address is


Sister Carolyn Bettridge
4475 Carter Creek Pkwy
#714
Bryan, TX 77802  

Here is me at my first dinner( and only haha)
My companion is Hermana Sheirbon (like "sure been.") She is so amazing! I love her! She is from Vancouver, Washington (near Oregon.) She is 21 and joined the church 3 years ago. She has been out for ten months. She is the best missionary ever and I am learning so much from her! We are both blonde, so people are really surprised when we start speaking Spanish. We have a lot in common, the first time we met we were wearing almost the same skirt and we both had our tags on the right side (which people don't do!) 

This is us with Rosa, we were matching on Sunday! She just got baptized right before i got here. We will get to go with her to the temple for faith and family next month!
She is awesome, but the second day she made me call someone on the phone! I was so scared! (because I'm nervous about Spanish, not because I am afraid to talk to people.) But, I am getting better! Yesterday I had to say the closing prayer in sacrament meeting and I was TERRIFIED because I thought everyone was going to think I was terrible and they weren't going to trust me because of my Spanish, but it was fine! I have to remember everyone loves me because Hispanics are the nicest people ever! They really are! The cool thing about serving here is that there are people from all countries. I have met people from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Chile, and many more! 

This is Adrian. He just got baptized before I got here and was baptized for his uncle at faith and family. He is Rosa's grandson and "uncovered's" step son. He was so happy to be at the temple! He said he can't wait to go back! I liked going to the temple and I got a little nap in the car since we are so far away!

One of the cool things we do in this mission is go to the temple with the new converts we just taught. The last Friday of every month they have an event called "Faith and Family." The people that just got baptized get to go and get baptized in behalf of their ancestors that didn't get to learn about the gospel in their lifetimes. It is really special and there was such a special spirit in the temple! I can't wait to go again!


I love being a missionary because I love getting to share the gospel that has changed my life with so many people every day! The first thing we share with everyone is that God is our loving Heavenly Father. What a happy message! There are so many people in the world that do not know that. I love being a missionary because I get to see people change because they learn what that really means. I know that God is our Father in heaven and that He loves all of His children so much! He wants us to pray to Him.


I hope everyone has a great week! Dios nos ama mucho!


Love,


Hermana Bettridge





No comments:

Post a Comment