Monday, June 26, 2017

My move down the street

Hola! 

So I got transferred somewhere I didn't expect to go; I went to the area right next to where I was! We also white washed! That means both of the hermanas that were serving here got transferred away, so I am here with my new companion who is also new. It's hard to white wash, but we have seen a ton of miracles! I am now serving in the Canyon Lakes ward. There hasn't been a baptism there since last July, but we are committed to change that! We also serve in the Spanish YSA (Young Single Adult), so that's super fun! It is a small branch, but we want to help it grow as well!

Hermana Peña and I on my hammock! 

My new address is:
15125 West Road #733
Houston, TX 

My new companion is Hermana Peña! She only has one transfer left after this one. She is super cool, and I am excited to serve with her! She is from Mexico City, and moved to San Antonio when she was 14. It's fun to be with a native speaker again! I am excited!

This has been a hard week, but we have seen a ton of miracles! We visited a less active, and she said she wants us to teach her ten year old son so he can get baptized! So we set a date with him! We also were visiting former investigators and found a 15 year old boy who has read up to Alma in the time the missionaries haven't been stopping by!

This week I have been reading in 3 Nephi. Jesus Christ died for us, and He completed the atonement and resurrected three days later. He conquered physical death so that we can also live again. In the Bible we read about the experiences of the disciples who had the privilege of interacting with the resurrected Christ. But, Christ didn't visit only them. In John 10 Christ talks about His "other sheep" that will hear his voice. In the Book of Mormon we read about the experiences of some of His other sheep that got to hear His voice and come unto His fold. 

In 3 Nephi 11 we read about the experience of some of these other sheep. The signs of Christ's death appeared in the Americas as well. After days of darkness and terrible storms and disasters the people were gathered at the temple.

3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.
8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.
9 And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:
10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
11 And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
15 And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.

Christ first talked with them and allowed them to experience the proof that it was, in fact, he himself. And He ministered to them one by one. Missionaries today are representatives of Jesus Christ. Our name tags have two names, ours and His. We go around and get to know people one by one. We invite them to learn more about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I think it's interesting to see what Christ told them first thing.


18 And it came to pass that he spake unto Nephi (for Nephi was among the multitude) and he commanded him that he should come forth.
21 And the Lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven.
23 Verily I say unto you, that whoso repenteth of his sins through your words, and desireth to be baptized in my name, on this wise shall ye baptize them--Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them. 
32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

Not just anyone can perform a baptism, it has to be someone who can trace their authority right back to Jesus Christ. Christ gave them that power, and then He invited the, to repent (change) and be baptized. As missionaries we spread the good news that the power and authority of Jesus Christ is back. 


33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.
34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

Here He speaks about the necessity of baptism. He uses strong language, but He does it because He loves them. He doesn't want them to be damned. As missionaries we invite people to be baptized. Some think we are being pushy, but it's all because it's what Christ himself did and would do if He were on the earth. 

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.
39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.
40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.
41 Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.


I know the Bible is the word of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It, like the Bible, was written by prophets of God, and it was written around the same time as the Bible. It is a record of another group of people that were living in a different part of the world. I know that as I have studied the Book of Mormon I have been able to gain a deeper relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is another testament of His divinity. By reading it we can learn more of the things he taught and wants us to know.

My tag! My name and the Savior's

If any of you would like a copy of the Book of Mormon, just send me your address and I would love to send one to you with my personal testimony! You can also read it online or order one for free on mormon.org 

I hope you all have an amazing week!

Love,

Hermana Bettridge


Fotos:

Marvin's family and I!
Me with Hermano Alvarez!

I thought I was getting transferred far away from Krispy Kreme so I went there before transfers. But I can still go back whenever!
Our new district, we didn't get changed that much



No comments:

Post a Comment